Please see the Firearms Licensing Page for more information.
Vehicle for Hire
Officer Michael PageVehicle for Hire
Officer Michael Page of the Department's Traffic Division is also the City of Salem Licensing Authority for Vehicles For Hire (taxis, limousines, trolleys, pedi cabs, etc.). Officer Page investigates Vehicle for Hire Operator applicants as well as complaints against these business. He reports to the City Council and makes recommendations to the Council concerning Vehicles for Hire.
Telephone: 978-744-0171 x117
Application ProcessLast Updated: April 14th, 2014
Applications at the Police Department Require:
- Fingerprinting/Processing Fee: $30 Check or Money Order (This is NOT the same fee as the Collector's Office)
- Interviews are typically conducted from 6:00PM to 9:00PM on Monday Nights. Call or e-mail Officer Michael Page for times.
- Applicants are required to supply a recent, passport size, photograph of themselves when applying for their Temporary License. NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE PROCESSED WITHOUT A PHOTO. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Licenses are only valid until December 31st of the current year.
Taxi licenses and taxi vehicle inspections are conducted at the Police Station. Call or e-mail Officer Michael Page for times.
An application for a Vehicle for Hire Operator's License can be obtained:
- At the Records Department Window (in the front-right lobby of the Police Station) during Records Hours of Operation.
- Via PDF download
Licensing for Door-to-Door Soliciting and Canvassing
Det. Sgt. Kristian HansonDoor-to-Door Soliciting / Local Licensing Agent
Telephone: 978-744-0171 x277
Detective Sergeant Kristian Hanson is the Licensing Authority for Door-to-Door Soliciting and Canvassing. Persons interested in this type of license are required to pay a $100 fee and complete an application. Following an investigation, the License will either be approved or denied. Persons being denied a License have the right to appeal as detailed in the City Ordinance. LICENSES WILL NOT BE PROCESSED IF THE APPLICATION IS NOT COMPLETED IN FULL AND AS DIRECTED.
For more information, follow the links below:
NOTICE TO RESIDENTS - BUSINESS OWNERS
Unfortunately, there have been some criminal incidents involving people who were unlicensed to conduct Door-to-Door Soliciting and Canvassing. Residents and business owners alike are urged to call the Salem Police immediately should they observe or suspect any illegal or suspicious activity (978-744-1212 or 911).
- The City of Salem is allowed to require people engaged in Door-to-Door Soliciting and Canvassing to be licensed.
- Only "for profit" businesses are required to apply for a permit. Salem businesses are often approached by people selling ads, ads on maps or menus, telephone services and other products. This is considered "Door-to-Door" soliciting and those people need to apply for a license.
- Non-profit organizations, religious groups, educational groups and political causes are not required to be licensed to go "door-to-door".
- The City Ordinance states solicitors are not to proceed onto a property if the property is marked with signage prohibiting such actions. Should a resident or business wish, they can place a sign reading "No Solicitors" and/or "No Trespassing" to advise solicitors you do not want them on your property.
- Generally, any activity noted above is not allowed between 6:00PM and 8:00AM.
NOTICE TO FOR PROFIT DOOR-TO-DOOR SOLICITORS
Massachusetts General Laws allow for the arrest of any person violating a City Ordinance. While an arrest for violating the City Ordinance pertaining to Solicitors is a last resort course of action, Officers can arrest a person in violation of this Ordinance.
NOTICE TO FOR NON-PROFIT DOOR-TO-DOOR SOLICITORS
While registering with the Salem Police Department is not a requirement, it is strongly recommended you notify the Salem Police Department of your activities (purpose, local contact, area of canvass, duration of activities). Notifying the Police Department will help minimize police contact with your group and allow the Department to better inform the public. Regardless, it is suggested you adhere to all signage posted on property regarding soliciting and trespassing and limit your activities so that you are not approaching residents between 6:00PM and 8:00AM. Please call 978-744-0171 ext 110, 111, or 112 or 978-744-1212 to advise the police of your activities.